Sunday, March 4, 2012

It's All in the Equations

As someone who plans on studying journalism, I think it's safe to say that I've never been a numbers person.
Simple calculations in my head? No problem I will do long division in my head, multiply the hell out of double digits, and if you give me a second I can calculate that tip. I may be able to do that, although I usually end up being lazy and just taking out my phone for a calculator. However, when it comes to equations and calculations that mean something? Please. No.
The trouble is more with science than math really. Memorizing what chemicals react with what always sent my brain into a tizzy. I digress.

The point is you'll never hear me talking about math or things in the math family with a sense of security. No, I will always be talking about it in a worried tone of voice, or teary.
Probably one of the smartest moves I've ever mad has been taking my math requirement in a community college when I was still in high school. I haven't had to do math since junior year of high school, and I'm not looking to put it back into my life.
The closest thing I have taken to math in recent times? Economics.

I don't hate math, economics, or science. I just have a hard time with them. I can't glance at an equation and think, "Oh, this is this." I have to spend time thinking about it. A lot of time.

This comes into play with my economics homework I've been getting. The assignments are all online, and you get two chances to answer them correctly. If you get it wrong the first time, it might help you out and give you some hints. If you get it wrong twice... no points for you.

Here's my process of working on economics homework:
  • Log onto website, click homework.
  • Read first question.
  • Don't know the answer to first question, read rest of questions searching for key words that I might remember.
  • Find a question to answer. Flip through notes, trying to find the exact answer.
  • Find some information, but doesn't tell me what I need to know specifically.
  • Look up question online.
  • Compare notes online to notes in notebook, trying to smash together a coherent answer. Click answer.
  • Get first attempt wrong. Have a mild breakdown, exclaiming how I'm going to fail economics because of this one question.
  • Re-read everything that I can possibly find for the answer. Even when 99% sure of the right answer, hesitate to answer it for at least twenty minutes.
  • Finally click check answer again.
  • Get question right. Weakly move onto the next one. Repeat nineteen times.
As you probably got from that, it takes me a long time to get my economics homework done. A lack of confidence in my economic skills is a big part of it, but whatever.
This is my last term of economics. I have three more weeks. Bring it.
Despite having difficulties with math, I've somehow successfully tutored someone in geometry in order to pass a test. Have no idea how that happened. Perhaps I'm a lot better than I think I am, it just takes me a lot of work to get there?
...Nah.

How are you with math or science? Is it difficult, or simply boring in your opinion? (Or is it fun and easy?)

1 comment:

  1. Economics steamrolled me. Thankfully, I only took it as a summer class that was three weeks long (even though it was 4 weeks at a stretch!).

    Yipes.

    Math has never come naturally, blessedly, it has been like air to my husband. And Journalism? My sword.

    ReplyDelete