Sunday, March 11, 2012

Libraries and Future Reading Material

I adore libraries. Yes, I've talked about this before. I could spend an entire day in a library if you let me. I think I just like libraries because it's an endless supply of new information for free. Plus, the information can be about anything. It can come in the form of new stories, both fictional and not; It can be learning how to perform a new task. Sure, you could say that the Internet has all of this "for free" as well, but the Internet and books are two very different things. I'm not saying I don't like reading blogs (I do, and have wasted many hours doing such), but even a book written by a blogger is a whole different experience.

Usually, the other positive that goes with checking out books from a library is convenience, but as I've gone on, I've found libraries to be lacking in the convenience department.

Libraries on colleges are not as convenient as you would think. For one thing, all of their books are academic. I know right? Who thought of that ridiculous idea? Pish. Because of that, for awhile now I've been trying to get a library card for the public library here. It seems that they don't want me to get a library card here.
The first time I went in, they told me that I needed some proof that I was living in the town. So as was suggested, I brought in my lease as proof. Today, that didn't work. Not recent enough. Bah.

Therefore I've given up on trying to get a library card in this town. Sigh. I just wanted to be like the adorable little girl who was enjoying a book at a cafe table, a pile of books stacked past her head. Truthfully, the reason I wanted a library card was for books to read for spring break. 'Tis coming up, and I want to have some good reads.

For the time being, I'm going to get some books from my hometown library for spring break. This works fine, the only issue is getting them back home afterwards. We'll worry about that later.
Right now I'd like to give you a little peek at the books I'm planning on reading in the future.

52 Loaves by William Alexander

The Butcher and the Vegetarian : One Woman's Romp Through a World of Men, Meat, and Moral Crisis by Tara Austen Weaver

French Women Don't Get Fat by Mireille Guiliano

The China Study

The Sorcerer's Apprentices by Lisa Abend

Wow. They're all food books. That's odd.
These are all books that have caught my eye  or I've heard about somehow. I've heard both good and bad things about some of them, but that hasn't stopped me from wanting to read them myself. I'd like to form my own opinion. Currently I have them all on hold, but we'll see if I get to all of them. Some of them might not be checked back in by the time it's spring break. As of now, they're just desired future readings.

Sleeping in yesterday? Probably not a great move for my sleep schedule. I was wide awake late into the night, and I sort of dozed off for a few minutes at eight tonight. Maybe I just can't sleep normally. Or maybe my body gets angry when I try that crap. I dunno.

What books are next on your to read list?

No comments:

Post a Comment