Sunday, April 22, 2012

Bodies and Such

Well Friday certainly was an interesting day. You know how I said that four hours of sleep would bite me in the butt? I'm not sure if it was necessarily due to the lack of sleep, but I'd like to think that affected me much earlier than I expected it to.

The day started quite differently than usual, but it wasn't because of the lack of sleep. On Friday I had a human physiology lab to attend to in the cadaver lab. Definitely not the usual.

When I heard that we would be touring a cadaver lab, it spooked me a little bit. Were we going to see people who looked like they had just died? I didn't want to see that. Seeing someone that looks like they could have been living recently with their stomach cut open sounds terrifying.
Luckily for me, the cadavers looked like the ones from the Body Works display. Have you ever gone to Body Works? It's fascinating. My favorite ones were the bodies with all of the nerves and the obese profile. Anywho, I digress.
The point is, I wasn't freaked out when I was in the lab. I looked at the bodies. I felt a pair of lungs. Everything was fine. Until my head started spinning. And started to burn up. And my vision started blurring, which soon became the inability to see, or at least barely see.
As you can probably guess, I'm fine now. I made sure I left the room before I passed out or anything, because who knows?

Weirdly enough, I was more worried about everyone thinking I was a pansy. "Oh, she had to leave because the bodies creeped her out." No! I swear it wasn't from that!

I don't know what exactly happened, but I think I was inhaling the embalming fluid fumes too much. As soon as I left the room, I felt better. Therefore, I think it was that.

What the heck is that? I used to be the girl who never got sick from the usual suspects and nothing could stop me in my tracks (health-wise, that is). Now, I'm being affected by fumes, I'm allergic to new things including possibly weather, and I've never had these problems before. Is it getting older? I didn't think you were supposed to have these problems in your early twenties. (Jeez, when did that become a thing anyways? Technically 20 is early twenties, but still.)

As for this weekend, I've totally had some ups and downs. I've had some fun with people, but I've also dealt with unneeded stress that I caused myself. Obviously I didn't do it on purpose, but it happens. Also, when you take a step back to look at everything happening in your life recently (instead of just the bad things), you realize that life isn't as awful as you imagined it to be. "Suck it up buttercup," you say to yourself. (Yeah, I should probably stop having an internal monologue here.)

I've been so happy about the beautiful weather lately. Have y'all been having gorgeous weather? Seriously, I'm loving it.

Does anyone out there use Blogger? How do you feel about the change? I'm not a fan, but maybe it'll grow on me. That's all from me.

Have you ever seen a dead body? Where was it, and how did you feel about it?

1 comment:

  1. I've seen a number of dead bodies before - and, yeah. I'm not squeamish, but for some reason the idea of typing about it (my experience) just seems...?

    That being said, I'm glad that your trip to the cadaver lab (the bodies I've seen have NOT been cadavers) was fascinating.

    ReplyDelete