Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Hidden Gems in Airports

Sometime today, I'll have boarded onto a plane to travel to far away places. Because of this, I'll have to go through the airport.

Everyone has some opinion on airports, don't they? People hate them, people get frustrated over them. In my case, I neither hate nor adore. Sure, at times they can be stressful and bothersome, but I don't have a downright hate of them.

One thing that I love about airports is the sense that all of the people in them are either coming back from or going to embark on an exciting adventure. No matter what, traveling tends to be pretty exciting. Sure, you might be going on a business trip, but it's better than having a meeting in the office, right? Some of your fellow travelers might even be taking the leap into one of their most amazing experiences yet, one that will change the rest of their lives.

Of course there's always stress. What if you forget your ticket, your passport, etc? What if you miss your flight? What if you're randomly selected for a more advanced security screening? There are quite a few things that could help color your hair to a lovely shade of grey. Is it worth it? Depends on where you're traveling to, I suppose.

Finally, one of the last things that makes airports interesting is people watching. I wish I looked more exciting whenever I go traveling, but I usually end up wearing whatever is going to make the most space in my suitcase. Which means a sweatshirt and my tennis shoes. I wish I could dress chic like the book Classy says I should, but I'd rather have room for more clothes on my trip. Still, with a lot of the folks in not the cutest clothes, you get some interesting people watching in. High-tension can shed a new light on people, sometimes a highly entertaining light. Plus, watching what other people do while they wait is fun. What are they reading? Did they just come back from somewhere incredible?

Yes, airports aren't always the most amazing places. However, you can make your time there better if you just think about the destination.

What do you think about airports?

No comments:

Post a Comment