Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Starting something new in more ways than one

It's always tough to start something new. Not knowing where to start is always the hardest part, when you can't decide what sounds good, and what sounds completely stupid. That brings us here.

That right there was a sad attempt at an introduction for my blog here. Hey, my name is Hannah and this is my newly created blog. A little information that you'll need to know about me is:
  • I am an Oregonian girl who has gone to school with the same people for thirteen years.
  • I am about to start my first year of college at Western Oregon University.
  • I'm ready for something new.
I'm creating this blog around the theme of College life, but I don't want it to be just a blog about college. I will write about my life, and there will be a slight journal element to it. However! I am going to write about what I learn while in school, little facts that I think are useful, and other little college based info.
There are a few things that I hope to accomplish while in college. These things are:
  • Get a degree (That's kind of a duh one, but it had to be said.)
  • Not gain the dreaded Freshman Fifteen.
  • Travel abroad during my Junior year of college
  • Stay out of debt
  • Keep my grades up
  • Make friends
  • Post a blog entry everyday
Will all of these things happen exactly how I plan them? I have no idea! No one knows what the future holds, and I am no exception to that rule. These are just things that I just want to happen.

1.Get a degree
This may seem pretty obvious since I am going to college, but I personally think it goes a bit deeper than that. Many people go to college and never finish. Right now, I'm not even sure what my major will be. At the moment I'm planning to have a double major in English and Spanish but I don't know for sure.

2. Not gain the dreaded Freshman Fifteen
People worry about weight all the time in our world today. Whether it's someone being aneorexic or growing obesity rates, we are always thinking about the size someone is. I've seen the rollercoaster of emotion from a scale going up and down, but not necessarily for me. I've seen how stressful changing sizes can be which is why I want to try to maintain my weight. I will try to make good choices and eat right. I also don't believe the freshmen fifteen is gained solely in the freshmen year. I think that it can happen at anytime, so this is more of a life rule: Try to maintain myself through good eating and excersize.

3. Travel abroad during my Junior year of college
I really hope I can do this, but I know I have to do some things to try and get there. I need to make sure to keep my grades up and save money. Sounds easy on paper, but life is funny. I would like to travel to Great Britain or Madrid. (I'm leaning more towards the U.K.)

4. Stay out of debt
Again, sounds nice on paper. Alas, I don't know what will happen even in one month. The best way to go about it is to spend wisely and budget as well as I possibly can.

5. Keep my grades up
I'm going to college only for an education, right? HA! It's not just about the classes and lectures, it's about a new step in your life. In high school my grades were average, and I've realized that I need to focus. This doesn't mean I plan on being a shut in who only studies though. Which brings us to...

6. Make friends
I've gone to school with the same people from K through 12. My friends are dear to me, but as we've all gotten older I've discovered that we have begun to drift apart. I have very different interests then my friends, and that's all I really have to say about it right now. I want to see what kinds of people are out in the "real" world.

7. Post a blog entry everyday
I'm going to start up this little habit on my unofficial first day of college, this Sunday. This is something I WANT to happen, but I don't know how that will work. For instance, what if I don't have internet? I can try for now. Even if it's a little post, it'll be something. I won't make the rest of my posts as long as this one either.

These are things that I hope my blog will help me follow. It's scary trying something new, but it's always better to try then spend your whole life wondering "What if?"

The last thing that I would like to mention in this daunting blog post is the name of this blog. For about a week, I was trying to think of a clever name. This is not an easy task for me. I am terrible at thinking of names. I tested out different song titles that I thought sounded witty that apparently others thought were witty as well, seeing as they were unavaliable. Finally this evening the perfect name clicked in my brain. I Read It In A Book Somewhere. This is basically my way of life. I am always trying to give wise information that I read in magazine articles, books, whatever I find. "I read in a magazine that you should eat near a window in the morning so your body reacts to the natural light of day" or "In my 'How to study for college book' it says you should spend 40 hours as a student".  See what I mean? It may sound silly to you, but it feels kind of special to me.

I hope that all of you who happen to read my blog enjoy it. Don't worry, this is going to be my longest post! (I think.) Now it's time for me to go to bed, even though they say you shouldn't go to bed right after using the computer. (See what I mean?) I'll see you all on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment