Thursday, June 28, 2012

Not My Place Anymore

For the longest time, I couldn't understand why my sister hated the idea of moving back to our hometown for the summer. The rent was free, our parents would help pay for things like food, and there was plenty of space in the house to move around. Perhaps it was a bit like being a kid again, but the pros vastly outweighed the cons. Now I understand how she feels. I've finally gotten to the point where I'd like to live away from my original home away from my parents.

Don't get me wrong, I love my parents. However, there comes a time where something just feels... off about being home. Like you're not supposed to be there anymore. It's funny, but last year during school going home was a treat. Living in the house felt so much better than living in the dorm. Now I feel out of place in the house. I think this happened when going home started to feel like vacation instead of my house.

What feels like home now? I dunno. As you may have noticed with all of my moving around, I tend to not like staying in one place. I suppose I'm in a bit of a transitional phase.

In other news, three people I know are in London now. What the heck? Why couldn't y'all wait for me? Whatever. Right now I'm researching places to stay, places to go, and all of that before the official term starts. Oh, did I mention I'm going to land there ten days before the official program starts? Which means I have no place to stay? Yeah. There's so much information, I don't know where to start. One area where I do know what to do is getting a backpack. For my adventures, a backpack is looking like the best carry-on I can get. And I do have a backpack, but it's worn. For going to school? It's okay. For traveling? I don't think the huge rip in part of the bag would work, especially for an easy access area to steal from. Therefore, I'm perusing for backpacks. I'm looking for a cute one though. I've never really had a "cute" backpack, they've always been those boring ones you find in the big bin at Costco. So cute is what I'm looking for. Cute, but also able to fit stuff in it. Currently I'm lusting after this one. This one is fun, and it looks sturdier but I like the other one better. I'm going to go to Ross to look for some after this post. Hopefully I can find a cute (cheaper!) one there.

Wow, I spent a lot of time rambling about backpacks. Hm. Ah well.

When did you finally feel like you needed to move out of your parent's place?

1 comment:

  1. This is kind of a comical question, only because I worked at a summer camp from my Sophomore year of h.s. through the summer after my Senior year. So by the time I had to figure out what was happening for the summer after Freshman year of college, I had already signed up to live in a fraternity house for $800 (for the whole summer) because I simply couldn't wrap my mind around Going Home like that.

    Also, both backpacks are cute, so good luck finding one and obviously post a snap!

    ReplyDelete