Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Internet and Living Without It

We are so connected nowadays, it's crazy. Currently, there isn't a single person I know who is without Internet. Perhaps that's because of the social/economic setting I'm in, but perhaps not.
Actually, there's one. My sister.
She recently decided to not pay for Internet for the next month or two she has left in her current apartment in an attempt to save money. Her findings? "One of my worst ideas."

It's funny though, because even now she's not completely disconnected. She gets Internet on her phone, but it's definitely not the same. Certain websites don't work and all that. Even if don't have slightly the same amount of connection that we usually do, it feels off to us.

Why do I bring this up you ask? Well, I recently spent a few days at my sister's apartment, and due to a dying phone, I was quite the Internet free person.

I don't know if the rest of the world is like me, but if I'm not on vacation being disconnected feels odd. When I'm away, it's not weird. I have nothing to look at if I'm chilling on a beach somewhere in the tropics. It's not necessary. But when I'm still in normal society a strange feeling comes over me.

Honestly, I probably have an Internet addiction as do millions of people. Even if I'm done with the computer sometimes, I still have to stay on and I don't know why.

In other news, I baked two different kinds of bread today! Hooray! I like baking bread. I didn't realize how much bread it was going to make though, so now I've got two large loaves worth of apple bread and a loaf and braid of potato bread.

Are you addicted to the Internet? What's your favorite website?

1 comment:

  1. I don't want to say that I'm addicted, but I do very much like the level of connection that I'm able to maintain with all of my "people" as it were.

    ReplyDelete