Friday, July 20, 2012

Being a Nerd

Here's the weird thing about blogging for me. Usually, I tend to know what I want to write about. However, I have the hardest time actually getting started. Hm. This actually happens with the rest of my life as well, doesn't it? Anywho...

At midnight last night The Dark Knight Rises premiered. I'm not going to post any spoilers because I didn't see it. What? How crazy is that? I love going to midnight premieres! I went to the last Batman midnight showing! Why not this one.

Well for one thing, I didn't know who to go with and I didn't want to go alone. A lot of people I know aren't in town or they live somewhere else. Ah well.

I wanted to go though. I love superhero movies, and I think the Nolan Batman movies are pretty great. I just... didn't.

It's a funny world now when it comes to nerdiness. Nowadays, it's cool to be a nerd. Comicon is no longer for the quirky, it's become a mass media sensation. Superheroes are awesome. The nerds rule now.
On the other hand, I still know that there's a difference in the type of nerds. There are the "oh yeah superhero movies are cool" type nerd, but there's also the "real" nerd. The nerd who reads all of the comic books, the nerd when can tell who what superheroes have teamed up (before Avengers) and all sorts of stuff. Strangely enough, I feel intimidated. Y'see, I used to consider myself a pretty big nerd but the more I think about it, the less I feel like a "legit" nerd. I haven't read all of the comics. I haven't watched all of the movies. I don't know if I can consider myself a real nerd.

Most ridiculous argument with self ever, or most ridiculous argument with self ever? Seriously.

Since we're on the nerd subject, I went to the library a day or two ago. While there, I stumbled upon a manga book of a certain genre I used to like. Now, before I say anything else I have to justify manga. Despite all of the views that the rest of the world seems to have about manga being dirty and crude, but in reality most of it is fine. Japan seems to be more lax about sexuality and indecent exposure in general though. For instance, when I first watched the movie Kiki's Delivery Service, I wondered why the main character wore a diaper even though she was about ten. At that time, I didn't even know what anime/manga were. She's not wearing a diaper by the way, she's wearing underwear. Still seems weird that she needs to flash it to the audience so much though. Whatever, all I cared about in that movie was flying on a broomstick of a flying bike.

Where was I? Oh right, the library. So the type of book I picked up was a romance manga, a type that I used to read a lot. I never read the series that I picked up that day, so I didn't know what to expect.

Oh. My. God. What the HELL did I just pick up? Did all of the romance comics I read have this much dirty-ness in them? No. No they didn't. Heck, one of my favorite series (and the only series I actually bought) was much more goofy and fun. Still, I can't deny that I hadn't read anything like the comic that I picked up that day. The thing is, I think I must have blocked out how effed up the relationship in the book was before. What do I mean by that? Well, have you read or read the reviews of the book "50 Shades of Grey"? It was like that. I didn't like it in the manga that I read the other day, and I certainly don't want to read it in that atrocious sounding book. I know, I shouldn't judge a book before I read it but I've read what that book is about. I don't like it at all. Plus, it's based on a fanfiction of Twilight? Nonononononono.No. Do not want.

Things change I guess? I still like some of the manga of my past, I just don't read it anymore. I still like comics. I still like doodling. Heck, I still adore Futurama, and that's a cartoon. Sometimes the way we view things are different. That's why occasionally we look at the past and think, "What the hell was I thinking?"

Yep. Thoughts of the day.
Other random thing before I go: So yesterday I started organizing the RV garage clothes in order to get things ready for a garage sale. I'm thinking of doing a weeklong thing where every item is $.50. Seriously. There are piles and piles of clothing out there. At least 3 piles of blue jeans alone. Honestly, I think my mom stole clothing from people, because half of the clothes out there I've never seen.
But here's what happened. After hours of organizing, my mom came home. I told her about all of the organizing, and my idea. She instantly disliked the idea. "Some of the clothes are worth so much more," she complained. True. There are some clothes out there that have never had the tags taken off. Sad. But some of those clothes have been out there forever. There are just too many of them. And if we don't see them, they're going to be giving away for free anyways. My mom is a bit of a hoarder.
This is why I've been kind of lackluster in anything I do lately. It's because anytime I do something, it's apparently not the right way to do it. So it's frustrating. What can you do I suppose.

I hope I didn't sound too teen-y.

What's something you nerd out about?

1 comment:

  1. The moment I learned that 50 Shades was a Twilight Fanfic and read an awful excerpt from it online, I knew that I needed to run as far and as fast as I could from it. Awful-awful. Where reading "dirty" things is concerned, Power To The People. But I can't do any more of the really poorly written stuff.

    ReplyDelete