Monday, September 17, 2012

Adventures Abroad: Orientation

Now is the time we get to talking about the actual program! Huzzah!

I traveled to the orientation with the two girls across the road from me. Random thing: There was going to be a girl living in the same house with me, but sometime during the week right before she dropped out. Not just out of the program, but of University. Last time I heard, no one had been able to contact her. Super duper weird. Anywho, we traveled to the tube station, looking at where we needed to transfer and all of that. As we got off one train and onto another, we ran into some issues. Mainly, one of the members of our group didn't get on the train with us. The doors shut in her face before she was able to get on.
I went back to the other station while Catie (the other girl) stayed at the tube station we arrived at. Unfortunately, there was no Catherine to be found. We decided to head to the school anyways, hoping she would find her way (she did).

Orientation was basically just that. We got a review on basic etiquette in the country, some overviews of the classes, and conversed with each other. It was all good. After Orientation was over, I led a large chunk of the group to the place where I bought my phone. Just an easy way to get your phone, somewhere nearby you know? So that was that.
That night, the neighbor students and I (the ones from the tube) went to a local pub to celebrate the start of the program. I tried Pimms Lemonade. It is SO GOOD. Seriously. It's a summer drink, but I'll for sure bring Pimms home to make drinks for the peeps back there.

The next day, we went to a place called Kew Gardens. This was one of the places that quite a few people told me to go, so I was interested. The neighbors and I wanted to make sure we weren't late, but we ended up getting there way early. Our mode of transportation to the gardens was a ferry. The tour certainly was interesting, but I think I've come to the realization that as far as trips go, ferries are not at the top of my list. Or any ship type thing really.
The Gardens had some incredible sights, and I especially liked the color of the Kew Palace. It's a strange orange color, but I think it looks fantastic. There were also lily pads big enough to sit on! How wild.

Wednesday was the start date of actual classes, but a lot of the information was simply Syllabus stuff again. Honestly, I don't mind. However I soon realized that I might have a difficult time in the class about British government. The teacher is a bit hard to follow. One class I am excited about the more I get involved with it? Shakespeare the Dramatist. This isn't because I'm a huge Shakespeare fan (he's a'ight), but the teacher seems to be quite interesting. Plus, it's big on discussions, and I'm all for that.

I will continue this at a future point, but for now we must depart. Tata!


No comments:

Post a Comment