Thursday, September 6, 2012

Adventures Abroad: The Next Two Days in Paris

And the adventure continues! The story picks back up on the first morning in Paris, where I had actually gotten some rest. I slept in much later that I hoped, but it was probably a good thing. I had missed the free breakfast, so I decided to do the stereotypical American in Paris thing and buy a Pain au Chocolat. The verdict? Delicious. It's strange though since I've actually been seeing a lot of places selling Pain au Chocolat here. Oh, by the way, if you didn't know a Pain au Chocolat (I believe I'm spelling it right) is a chocolate filled croissant.

I wandered around until I finally reached the Arc de Triomphe. It's really a marvel to see. Actually, everywhere you walk has beautiful architecture. After some time at the Arc, it was time to head to the Eiffel Tower.
On my way, I stumbled upon a marketplace selling all kinds of foods. Cheeses, meats, bread... Unfortunately, it was shutting down, so I bought a Nutella crepe quickly. It was also later in the day, so I was hungry. Yes, this means all I had eaten since I'd gotten in Paris had been chocolate and pastry. Classy.
I went to the Eiffel Tower, and it was exactly how you would expect it to be. Fun, but not something you do multiple times. Only once.
Later I wandered back the the hostel, eating some beef thing with caramelized onions on top of it for dinner. It doesn't sound like I did much, but I spent the whole day walking.

Day two was the Lourve! I got up earlier this time in order to get breakfast. This is about the time when I discovered that France might be an hour ahead of England. Well. For breakfast I received a croissant and a mini loaf of bread, or roll. I ate the croissant and saved the roll for later.
Despite my time mix up, I was able to get to the Lourve a few minutes after it had opened. Being the first Sunday of the month, it was free too! Awesome. I heard that you needed to go to the Lourve early, but I didn't think 9AM was early. Hence my confusion on why it seemed so empty. Ha. Around noon it was PACKED.
I stayed until 45 minutes to closing, and I still didn't get to everything! I know. I should have stayed until the very end, but my feet were aching. I think I saw enough Egyptian sculptures, it's okay that I didn't see ALL of them. Paintings are what mattered to me. The crazy thing is, it's been hard to tear myself away from exhibits to eat. That roll did not count as lunch as much as I wanted it to, so I had a sandwich as well.
Speaking of paintings, I think it's a little strange when people take pictures of paintings. What are you going to get from that painting with your crummy photo? I dunno, it kind of seems ridiculous to me. I digress.
Leaving the Lourve led me to a Fight or Flight scenario, and I definitely know which one I am now. A 30-40 year old guy approached me, and started talking at me. I didn't know how to respond. A side note: I had already been told fuck you by two other French men since I'd gotten to Paris (this does not include my metro saviour). Having no desire to interact with this guy, I mumbled some words and literally scampered away into a garden area. I wish I was kidding.

Soon after, I was approached by a guy my age. He told me I was cute and perhaps we should go for a coffee sometime while I was here? I got his number. He didn't get mine. I never texted him. Whoops.
My next stop I decided was to visit the Notre Dame. Why not, right? But wait! What's that over there? Is that a macaroon shop? Yes indeed, it was. I was determined to make this trip as much of a food experience as possible, and that meant trying a real French macaroon.
I bought a chocolate one, a raspberry one, and a green apple one. I ate them in front of the Notre Dame. I didn't want to think they were amazing but... Oh my goodness. They tasted like something that kicked an Oreo's ass, but that's not giving it enough credit.

After enjoying my macaroons, I wandered a bit more and started to get a bit snap happy. That's when a random guy noticed it, and knew I was in Paris for the first time. I don't know much of what we said, but one thing that he told me was,
"Sometimes it's better to live in the moment."

Honestly? This whole trip thing has been the most living in the moment I've ever done. But I totally understand.

I later had an unsuccessful trip trying to find a certain restaurant, then went back to the area around my hostel. I had an overpriced hot chocolate while I wrote in my journal.
Oh, did I mention sometime before I went to have hot chocolate I had another Nutella crepe? As "dinner"? Oy.

Tomorrow's post: Last day in Paris and London Adventures continued! For now, here are some pictures.
My hostel was behind this. Pretty good indicator at night.





View from up the Arc de Triomphe


The problem with traveling by yourself? No one to take pictures with, or to have take pictures of you!


Saw this ad around, it's just so bizarre.

I know what I said about pictures of paintings, but this room was incredible.

Real life bunny slippers. Did not know that was a thing.

Look at all the people. Madness.



I usually don't take pictures of my food, but this was an exception.





1 comment: