Monday, August 6, 2012

Running and Running Movies

It's amazing how when you're not on a schedule you tend to forget things quite easily. Like blogging, for instance. I think, "Oh, it's only been a day or two since my last blog" when in reality it's been almost a week. Goodness. We move on.

What's been up in my life? Well, I got some exciting news: I've got a spot in the Hood to Coast!! I'm so excited! If you don't know what the Hood to Coast is, it's a relay that happens in Oregon. There's even a movie about it. (Which I have yet to see.) You usually have to apply with a team a year in advance, and even then it's up to lottery. However, a spot opened up on my sister's team and I was asked if I wanted to join! As you can tell, I'm pumped. Tomorrow I'm going to start practicing doing more than one run in a day by splitting my four miler in half, separating it by an hour or so. Hooray!

I've caught up on some Olympics, adventured around with my grandma, and gotten nervous about time going  by so fast.

Today, I watched a few movies. Some classic, and one not so classic. My dad and I get a little too enthusiastic when it comes to 49 cent rental Sundays, especially since you only have one day to watch them. Anywho, one of the movies that I watched wasn't a rental but something that came on the TV after I had finished another one.

The movie was called Run Fatboy Run with Simon Pegg. The plot was about a loser-y guy who had given up on everything he'd ever done. His girl who got away gets together with this perfect guy who runs marathons for charity and is just amazing all around. Pegg decides that he's going to run the marathon too. It's a story about not taking the easy way out, all that jazz. The point is it struck my fancy because of the mentioning of marathons obviously.
I always like when the longer running events are mentioned in movies. I'm not saying that short distances don't take dedication, it's just that long distances take so much more mental power than other races. They don't tend to be spotlighted though. However all that said, there were some things that irked me.
For example, how many weeks he had until the marathon. 3.
Training with no running experience for a marathon in three weeks?

HA!
HA HA!

Yeah fucking right. Even if you walked the whole thing (which he does a lot of), there's no way you could do that if you're in no condition at all. Your legs would collapse from under you.

Still, it did get some things right. Like the wall I suppose.
I still like the mention of a marathon though in movies.

After watching it, I wondered if Simon Pegg had ran a marathon perhaps inspired by the film. No, he hadn't but I wished he had. "C'mon, you should do a marathon if you were in a movie about doing a marathon," I thought. Then I instantly thought of how ridiculous that thought process was.
Why do we want stars to do the things they do onscreen? I know I'm not the only one who has wished for a star to do the things they've done onscreen. On the other hand, we're not watching Hunger Games and thinking, "Man, I wish Jennifer Lawrence would participate in a battle to the death with other young people." See? That's just ridiculous. I think it might just be because I think doing a marathon is an awesome thing to do, and I like when actors give me other reasons to like them. Dunno.

So, those are the thoughts of the evening. Ayup.

What running movies do you find interesting? Do you tend to have assumed personalities with actors based on the type of roles they play?

1 comment:

  1. Excuse the profanity, but OHMIFUCKINGGOD YOU'RE RUNNING HTC?!?!?!?!?!?!

    DYING FOR YOU. DYING. I couldn't be more excited or more jealous (in the friendliest of ways!) for you. You are going to have an amazing ride! Take lots of pictures and we are expecting LOTS of stories. LOTS. All of the details. All of the things.

    ReplyDelete