Thursday, August 23, 2012

Is This Seriously My Life?

Currently looking at schedule/upcoming events, and all I can think is, "Holy crap. Is this seriously my life right now?" 

Let's take a look at that schedule, shall we? Tomorrow I start the Hood to Coast. That continues into Saturday afternoon/evening, with a beach celebration that night. Sunday we do a team breakfast, then it's back home to a going away BBQ for me. That seems weird. A BBQ for me? Anywho, next is Monday. Monday is free, Tuesday is filled with last minute appointments, and Wednesday I'm flying to Europe. 

Seriously. How did I get blessed with this right now? Because everything in my future sounds freaking amazing. 

Usually I'd be freaking out, thinking about all the things that could go wrong. I'm going to miss my flight, I'm going to injury myself and not be able to finish my legs of the H2C, I'm going to get lost in Europe, I'm going to owe my parents so much money after this trip, I'm going to- Every freakout. Every problem I could face. The weird thing is... I'm living in the moment instead. I think I've spent enough of this summer worrying about everything in the future that it has finally worn my worrying out. My sister's whining about her life might have made me realize how ridiculous I sound as well. Whining about being weight is stupid when you just ate junk food. I should know, I've been doing the exact thing all summer. Speaking of, even though I'm a TEENY bit heavier than when I started college (nowhere near Freshman 15), I've been a lot more accepting of my body lately. I lost a lot of weight when marathon training. It happens when you're not eating enough for running 15 mile long runs. Plus, I'm nowhere NEAR overweight in the slightest. So... I need to CTFD. Which I have.

Sometimes you just need to stop the freakouts. Look at what's happening and see the positives. It reminds me of something I read in one of Rick Steves' travel books. I'm not sure the exact wording, but he was talking about travel journaling. Rick explains the difference between writing a positive journal entry versus a negative one and he explains by describing the same day in two different ways. When he wrote the positive entry it made a HUGE difference. Now I'm looking at the positives. Plus I'm finally living in the moment for once.

Speaking of the H2C, I've been "tapering". Kinda. I ran two days ago, but I don't think I want to run today. My arches feel a tad twinge-y, so I don't want to risk any type of injury. As far as running multiple runs in one day goes, I can do it. I know I can. Y'see, last Thursday I decided to test this out partially because I told my sister I would run with her in the evening. I ran 6 miles in the morning. I then ran 5 miles that night. The next morning, I ran three. By the time I finished that three miler, my exhaustion could only be explained with "My soul is tired." Honestly, that was the only way I knew how to describe it. Still, that proved to me that I can do this. (Although this is probably why my legs have felt pretty tired this week, and why I've been taking it kind of easy.)

And yes, I'll be sure to take a boat load of pictures. I'm so excited! I've got chills.

When do you start looking at the positives? Closer to the deadline or a long time from the deadline? (I know, that could be worded better but bear with me.)

1 comment:

  1. LOVED your HTC tweets. And now, I need some snaps and a major recap, missy!

    I'm much better at maintaining optimism when I'm close to a high-stress event or project because at that point, so much is out of my hands.

    ReplyDelete