Monday, October 15, 2012

I Am The Crimson Dot


Sure, there were things that happened this week. I went to an excellent play featuring Julie Walters. I wrote a paper about the Eurozone. I went to Oxford, but sadly had no time to get anything preppy. I saw another section of the Victoria and Albert Museum. But those things are not important. What is important is what I did yesterday.

Yesterday, I ran a race.

The race I ran was called the Resolution 5k, 10k and 15k. I decided to do the 15k, because I always want to get my money's worth. I had been looking for a race for some time, and despite having trouble entering the first race I wanted to, I was able to order my race number easily for this race.

On the morning of the race, I made sure to get there an hour before it actually started. To the park at least.  What ended up happening was wandering around for about a half hour trying to find the registration booth, mainly because I forgot the map at home. Oh dear. Thankfully, with a bit of help (some of it not so helpful) I was able to get to the area, check my bag in, and get ready to run.

When I do races at home, I tend to not wear the shirt from the race the day of the race. I think it's bad luck. Apparently today however, that was what I should of done. In a sea of purple, I was the crimson dot in my Portland marathon shirt. There were a handful of others not wearing the shirt, but not enough to not be noticed. Oh well.

Thankfully, the day was gorgeous, perfect for a run in the park. The running itself? Could have been better. I felt slow. I was pretty slow for me, but for some reason I just felt exhausted. I think my body hasn't recooped on sleep I've been missing. I dunno. My body also decided it was a good moment for cramps. Ick. However, overall it was pretty good. It was honestly just like going for a run in the park, except this time I got a medal for it.

One of the weird things about this race? It wasn't blocked off, so you had to duck and dive through people walking through the park. A bit odd, really. Only an annoyance when jerks were smoking right in your pathway.

For now? I can officially say I'm an international runner. And that's pretty neat.

How far away from home have you run a race?

1 comment: