Sunday, October 7, 2012

The Globe, Markets, and Transportation Issues

Is this becoming a weekly thing? I think this is becoming a weekly thing. Boo, that's no good.

However, no time to worry about that for we move on.

On Saturday we went to the lovely area known as Brighton. It was explained to me as a mix between Seaside and Eugene, but in reality it's a lot like San Francisco. A ton of cool indie shops, a lovely beach pier,  a very strong LGTB community. So yeah, San Francisco. Pretty much all that we did there was wander around, but it was good wandering. The thing to do there is to have Fish n' Chips on the shore, so that was done. Funny thing: The shore is completely pebbly. I'm so not used to that. But it acts just like a sandy beach in which the further you dig the wetter it becomes. So weird.

Sunday was a rest day. I ran around and got a bit lost, ending up running 10 miles instead of 7, but it was all good. I also signed up for a race! But more on that later depending on the packet scenario currently in play.

Monday was a normal day for the most part, but that evening I went to this alumni meet up thing for my university. The few of us who were from UO went basically as advertisements to donate to the school. Why did I go? Networking. You never know. I did end up talking to a guy who told us about UO football games somewhere, so that's a plus.

Tuesday we went to the Globe! We were groundlings, meaning we stood for three hours. It's quite the unusual experience. The play was fantastic, and it was interesting due to the fact it was an original production. This means that all of the parts were played by males.

Wednesday I was very lame. I had a paper due on Thursday, so I worked on that all day. And night. Which is why my sister happened to be able to Skype me for the first time since I've been gone. That was nice. All I can say is I'm glad I got that done.

Thursday was the Russian National Orchestra. It also included a dragging myself across the pavement run, but other than that it was pretty swell. Even the run wasn't so bad.

Friday, seeing as it's our free day, was the day I decided to go visit the BBC studios. There's a show here called Strictly Come Dancing, and people were already lined up for the audience at 10:30 in the morning. Oh goodness. Strictly is like Dancing with the Stars, so I guess I can see some appeal.
I do love myself a good studio tour. The tour itself was okay, but I'm always a fan of seeing how productions are created.
After the tour, I went over near Chinatown and explored some old bookstores. Anywhere I go, I love going to bookstores. I was also able to find the big bookstore called Foyles I've heard a bit about. It's about a block long, so it's pretty legit.

Met up with others, ate Chinese food, relaxed. 'Twas all good.

Yesterday I went to a magical little market called the Borough market. It's a big food market, so I was excited to eat my lunch there. Oh goodness. So many good things. You want nice cheese? They have nice cheese. You want to try to cook with quail eggs? They have quail eggs. Craving falafel? They have that too. I ended up getting a pasty and a brownie. First time having a pasty! Yah.
After lunch we went back to the Globe to watch Richard the Third. Good show, good show. Then I went out with some of the others, which was a fiasco within itself, but that's a long story. All that matters is that I went into the city, had some fun, and went home.
Getting home though... that was a bit of an adventure.
Y'see, on the rail I take home, it forks at Harrow. One fork goes north, the other south. We asked the guy working at the Harrow tube when the last train would come. He said 1:20. So, we decided to stay in Harrow for a bit longer.
We arrived at the tube station at 1:00. The tube guy told us, "Oh. There's a train coming, but it's a fast one and it's the last one." The fast ones pass our stop. He had said there would be one to our spot. What the hell. Luckily, I knew a bus stop on the other tube's stop so we went on the opposite fork's tube. When we arrived to the bus stop... the buses were no longer coming. I realized we were actually close to our spot by walking, so that's what we did. At about 1:30 in the morning. Luckily my partner was a guy, but I honestly didn't feel too worried.
I still shouldn't have told that story to my parents when I Skyped them this evening though. Eh.

And here we are to today! May the next posts be less list-y. Today was just chilling. Yup.

I'll talk to you soon! For now, here are pictures.

I'm not a Dr. Who fan, but I found it necessary to get a snap.

Tower of brownies. YUM.

Lordy these smelled amazing. Lookit all of that cheese.


What's the weirdest getting home story you've ever had?

No comments:

Post a Comment