Sunday, November 4, 2012

Celebrating Holidays Differently

Happy Halloween! 

Oh wait, that passed? Whoops. Actually, a LOT has happened in my life recently. As for part of the reason I've been gone for so long. What have I been up to, anyways?

Well, I was in Portugal...


...And Spain...

...And Stratford-Upon-Avon.


I had my birthday too.


Also played in the leaves. 


So it's been a good time. I'm sorry if it sounds a bit gloat-y, but it's more of a recap if anything.

Some of the strangest things I've experienced have been holiday situations. For instance, I did not get my slut on for Halloween. I went home and ate dinner, had some trick-or-treaters stop by. Odd. Y'see, Halloween is not a big thing over here. It's only just becoming bigger, with the trick-or-treater numbers getting bigger and bigger each year. My host family ran out of candy, but it was about a third of what my family buys for the kids. It's just so odd not to see the costumes EVERYWHERE. I like dressing up. And I may say slutty, but at least I try to be creative.

Another odd thing about holidays here? Fireworks in the grocery stores at the same time as Halloween stuff. Guy Fawkes day is tomorrow, and fireworks have been going off since Halloween. Strange to me.
I have yet to feel truly homesick, but I think that might happen at Thanksgiving. For now, I'm just laughing at all of the Christmas stuff coming up already. Hey, since they don't have another holiday, why not I guess. 

I hope everyone has been doing well! Time to work on EU homework. Bah.

What interesting ways have you seen other countries/people celebrate certain holidays?

No comments:

Post a Comment